About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Norma Angelika Perez. I am a double major at St. Peter's College.(Communications and Elementary Education) I hope to either get into Broadcasting or Administration in EE...=D

Monday, November 3, 2008

Rubrics

At first, I really didn't know much about rubrics because none of my teachers ever gave me one. Well at least, not that I remembered until now. Which is why I never realized how useful these rubrics can be. They are very helpful for both the student and the teacher. As far as the student, I think that they allow us to see exactly what the teacher is looking for and what he/ she expects from us in an essay, project or any assignment that is given. It is a great guide and we can check things off as we complete them. In my reading class, my professor gives the students a different kind of rubric as a guide when we make our lesson plans. I constantly look at it because it states everything that he will be looking for. I have gotten really good results because with a guide like that as help, you can't have many mistakes. There actually shouldn't be any at all if you pay close attention tot the rubric.

As far as the teacher, I think that it makes things easier for her as well. All the students will be graded equally no matter who they are or what is expected from them as an individual. They all were supposed to follow the same exact rubric so they will be graded according to what they did complete from the rubric or what they didn't. I will definitely use rubrics in my future classroom.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I agree with you, rubrics are very helpful to do the assignments, which means that if you followed the rubrics, you are more certain to get better grades than if you ignore them. Actually, I remember the rubrics, from seventh and eight grade to grade essays; those rubrics were so long, so many categories, and so confusing, that sometimes, I was even scared of reading them. However as long as you keep it to the students’ grade level, I will say, “Go ahead; use rubrics because they can be very beneficial. I am also considering the idea of using them in my classroom in the future.”