About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Norma Angelika Perez. I am a double major at St. Peter's College.(Communications and Elementary Education) I hope to either get into Broadcasting or Administration in EE...=D

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

MY LESSON!!!

Honestly, I think that my lesson went well. Like I said, the only thing that I would have changed was how I would go about passing the book around. I didn't really think about it. Aside from that, I think it was great. I would have to say that I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with some of my classmates that said that I was too "mean". When you have a crazy class like the one that I did, you have to be strict or else the students will walk all over you. Obviously that is not how I will be every single day but on crazy days like these, you must put your foot down and you can't baby your kids or reward them when they are misbehaving. It doesn't work like that. I work with Preschoolers and they are adorable and innocent and what not and the moment that I saw them, I said the same thing to myself" OH MY GOODNESS, I CAN'T YELL AT THESE KIDS, THEY ARE SO CUTE AND SMALL"but eventually I found myself placing them in time out or raising my voice on several occasions. That doesn't mean that I am a mean teacher. My kids love me! I am so nice to them , when they deserve it of course. I even have my favorite, which I know we are not supposed to but I can't help it. I have raised my voice with her many many times simply because she doesn't listen and if I baby talk to her or even talk to her in a normal tone, she won't listen because she will think it's a joke. So I think my tone during my presentation was good and it was for first or second graders. It's fine!

As far as the book, I was aware that it said "Baby to 3 years" but the point was to explain the basic steps of building a snowman and getting to the point. I had a longer book but I wanted everyone to finish the art project and well look at that, you did! We didn't exactly have a full day you know.

AND IT IS POSSIBLE to have a quiet classroom in that grade because I have seen it and it has been proven. Once a teacher raises her voice and says "NO TALKING", first graders will know that the teacher is serious and well do as they are told. Those are the consequences when you can't follow the rules! Thank you!

2 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Your lesson was terrific!

As I told you after class, you were not "mean". You were strict. There is a difference. :)

I think the book was an appropriate length. You used it as a springboard for the lesson adn that was effective. The "touchy" aspect of the book would have created anticipation in the class--just as it did in ours!

Great work!

sandy said...

Iam mean..lol!! I know it
~~~ I so understand what your saying... every class is different.. every student is different.. and every district is different... I agree with what you said.. I was not there, what you wrote is true. Teaching in front of your peers and a professor.. and being alone in a classroom for 6 hours is completely different.~~